Saturday, September 02, 2006

It's a bit Marty Pellow out there

Anyone get my poor joke? Tried it on one of my fellow cyclists and they looked like me like I was from planet zog.

Woebely to Bomere Heath (near Shrewsbury): 60 miles

For 4 days now the weather forecast has been saying it will rain today and alas they were right. Now, does anyone still not get my joke?

Breakfast was a slightly bizarre affair, the owner of the hotel was a top London surgeon, he spends 2 days a week in London and the rest of the week running the hotel. He was also the breakfast chef. Alas he prepared for breakfast in the same way as he prepares for open heart surgery - meticulously.... he was only able to cook one meticulous dish at a time, thus with 4 of us sitting round the table each of us had actually finished our breakfast before the next persons arrived! Nice guy but dear god, learn to cook more than one slice of bacon at a time please.

I was not too averse to running late this morning as it was teaming down with rain but as it didn't look like it was going to stop there was nothing for it other than head out into the abyss, fully clad in wet weather kit. The kit held up OK, but with the route being on country lanes there was a large amount of dirt and liquid organic animal matter being spun up off the tyres so god knows what I looked like when I walked into the pub at lunchtime, a bit of a rat that hat just been pulled out the sewer I expect.

Rain cleared up after lunch and then a strong wind picked up and blew us all the way to the hotel. Feeling a bit weary after lunch so glad of the helping hand.

Not an overly tough days cycle (albeit quite long) with just a few steep hills - it would have been a lovely ride had it not been so wet wet wet (now come on, surely you must have got the joke now...).

What else is new - well I think I've fixed my phone, the memory card was not formatted properly, I reformatted it and it is now saving pictures properly - so I should be able to pop the card into my laptop and upload them - will try later. I stopped taking them the last few days so now it's fixed I'll take some more.

One other thing I was thinking about on the way around today - alcohol, and the increase in consumption of it. First night before the first days ride everyone was like "oh, just half a shandy please", next night it was a pint, next night two pints. By last night it was two or three pints before dinner, wine on the table over dinner and then desert wine to follow. God knows what we'll be up to by Scotland. Still, it's all being burned off the next day.

Stats for the day:

Time spent cycling: 4hrs 44 mins
Average speed 12.3mph
Max speed 33mph
Cattle grids crossed: 2
Sheep spotted at side of road: 12

Love to all

2 Comments:

Blogger Erich Schlaikjer said...

It rained a lot when we were in the US, so we stayed inside. :-)

Glad your liver is getting up to the CCP standard.

11:04 pm  
Blogger Erich Schlaikjer said...

Oh, and I didn't get the joke until I googled it.

11:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home