Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Seal or no Seal?

Luss to Dalmally (near Loch Awe): 48 miles

Comic moment of the day - cycling alongside Loch Lomond I spy 3 brown objects bobbing about in the Loch. Seals I thought, definitely worth a picture, so I stop, put on the zoom lense (I carry my camera plus normal and zoom lenses in my carry case on the back of the bike, along with wet weather clothes, a few basic bike tools and a couple of energy bars), zoom in on the Seals and was just about to press the shutter when.....

...off they flew with a quack. Ho hum.

A relatively easy ride today, the first 12 miles flat, alongside Loch Lomond, then a bit of a tiring 5 mile climb onto the moors and into the rain / drizzle clouds. Coming down the other side was lovely, a 5 mile long 30 to 40mph blast all the way down. Then a similar 10 mile flat stretch along Loch Fyne, past the famous Loch Fyne oyster bar and then a wind assisted 7 mile climb up out again, before again having another 7 mile long 30 to 40mph blast back down the other side to Loch Awe. Here in time for lunch, had some lovely Gaelic Moules followed by a BLT, washed down with a couple of pints.

Seem to have largely fought off the cold I was coming down with, a bit sniffly today with swollen glands but otherwise feeling fine.

The days are definitely getting distinctly cooler as we progress northwards, I had my cycling jacket on for most of the day. I'm glad I packed my thermal cycling shirt, I have a feeling it may be needed before the trip is finished. It seems that all the inhabitants here need something nice and thick to keep them warm:









Stats for the day:

Time spent cycling: 3hrs 27 mins
Average: 14.0mph
Max 42mph
Miles done so far: 800
Miles to go: 275
Seals spotted: a big fat Zero.

Love to all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home