Friday, September 08, 2006

The sound of silence

Our one and only rest day today so naturally I decided I should do a 20 mile round trip on the bike to go and see Grey Mares Tail, a waterfall. The waterfall itself was OK, basically just a small bit of water falling from quite a height. Decided to trek up into what looked to me like a mountain, but to the locals I'm sure was just a small hillock. After climbing for an hour I had my second wow moment of the tour on finding the source of the waterfall - a large elevated (probably 1,000 ft or so up) loch, surrounded on all sides by large almost vertical hills. There are not many places that you can truly hear the sound of silence - but this is one of them. Well it was anyway until half way down when I was blasted by two RAF jets ripping through the valley below me - quite odd to be looking down from above on a jet twisting and turning through the contours of the valley.

Went into Moffat in the afternoon and had a massage on shoulders (shoulders absorb the vibrations that come up through the bike forks) and legs - really lovely.

Got back to my room to find a rather strong pong and discovered that my cycling shoes - that have had a couple of soakings in the last couple of days - are now rather pungent. Lovely...

A couple of shots from up the hill - one looking upwards and another downwards

1 Comments:

Blogger Erich Schlaikjer said...

I saw RAF fighters in remote, "quiet" Norfolk. To me their sound is that of my tax £££ burning up.

4:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home